Saturday, December 11, 2010

The Guardian's Short Stories Podcast Series

I want to recommend to you The Guardian's short stories podcast, in which leading authors - including Jonathan Franzen, Margaret Drabble, Julian Barnes and Helen Simpson - pick their favourite short story by another writer, from Raymond Carver to Angela Carter. It runs each day until Christmas and it started today with Philip Pullman (His Dark Materials) reading "The Beauties" by Anton Chekhov.

Here's the text and Here you have the link to the podcast. Enjoy!

The complete list of stories (just go to guardian.co.uk to listen to them):
Philip Pullman The Beauties, by Anton Chekhov (Saturday December 11)
Willliam Boyd My Dream of Flying to Wake Island, by JG Ballard (Sunday 12 December) HERE
Anne Enright Fat, by Raymond Carver (Monday 13 December) HERE
Colm Tóibín Music at Annahullion, by Eugene McCabe (Tuesday 14 December)
Margaret Drabble The Doll's House, by Katherine Mansfield (Wednesday 15 December)
Jeanette Winterson The Night Driver, by Italo Calvino (Thursday 16 December)
Rose Tremain Extra, by Yiyun Li (Friday 17 December)
Julian Barnes Homage to Switzerland, by Ernest Hemingway (Saturday 18 December)
Tessa Hadley The Jungle, by Elizabeth Bowen (Sunday 19 December)
Helen Dunmore My Oedipus Complex, by Frank O'Connor (Monday 20 December)
Ali Smith Conversation with My Father, by Grace Paley (Tuesday 21 December)
Helen Simpson The Kitchen Child, by Angela Carter (Wednesday 22 December)

3 comments:

  1. María, I read "the Beauties", and I like his argument : But it shows how little a short story needs a plot.
    And it's true!! hahaha! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right, I'm glad you liked it and really happy that you read it: I should have warned you that the text version and the audio one do not match exactly as they are different translations (The text was originally written in Russian). I'll keep trying to find links to the texts of the rest of the stories. No luck so far as most stories are copyrighted :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi again Maria^^
    I liked the story we hear this morning.. it's a beautiful story (:

    And I want to say you something, I like English classes, because sometimes we play, sometimes we tell our opinion of something, we sing (hahaha) and of course, we learn English :D Thanks María! :D

    ReplyDelete