Monday, January 24, 2011

PEACE POEM 1

Drawing by Jo Claire Hall

I've decided that this week is going to be Peace Poetry Week on my blog and I will post a poem a day.
The poems I'll be posting will be beautiful (to me) and easy for you to understand (or at least not very difficult) and I hope you start to enjoy poetry more if you don't already. I think this can be a great way to share with you my favourite poets. Maybe you can do the same on your blogs or in a comment. I'd love to see what you like reading...
So, this is my first choice:



Pastel drawing of Hughes
by Winold Reiss

I am so tired of waiting.
Aren't you,
For the world to become good
And beautiful and kind?
Let us take a knife
And cut the world in two --
And see what worms are eating
At the rind.


James Mercer Langston Hughes (February 1, 1902 – May 22, 1967) was an American novelist, playwright, short story writer, and columnist. He was one of the earliest innovators of the new literary art form jazz poetry. Hughes is best-known for his work during the Harlem Renaissance.

1 comment:

  1. Hi there! Thanks so much for choosing my peacebird drawing to illustrate your poetry selections! I, too, am an English teacher! You chose some great poems. Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete