Wednesday, February 9, 2011

LOVE POEM 3


"A Very Short Song"

Once, when I was young and true,
Someone left me sad-
Broke my brittle heart in two;
And that is very bad.

Love is for unlucky folk,
Love is but a curse.
Once there was a heart I broke;
And that, I think, is worse.

 Dorothy Parker (1893-1967) represented one of the most accomplished feminist and successful literary writers in women’s history. She became known as one of the most brilliant writers from the early 1900s. As a woman before her time, she represented a select few women who became independently successful with her witty and satirical writings. Her works paved the way for other realist writings by intellectuals, and other writers, which transformed American thought.

3 comments:

  1. I don't like this poem, because I think different...I mean...: "Love is for unlucky folk, Love is but a curse."

    I think she wrote it because she had the heart broken, but I don't think she could think that!

    P.S.: I have received other e-mail from the girl from Athens :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're absolutely right, sometimes having your heart broken makes you bitter. Fortunately, broken hearts can be mended and you don't think that way anymore. Thank you for your comments!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This poem is a bit strange.
    Means that someone broke her heart, and then she broke a heart.
    Usually, in life, when you do a bad thing at someone, it also comes back to you.
    If you break a heart, someone will also break your heart.

    P.S: I didn't receive any email yet. S:

    ReplyDelete