Sunday, May 1, 2011

I want to offer a different take on Mother's Day and this poem by Linda Pastan seems really fitting. I love the humour and truth in it. I'm sure every mother has felt the same some time,  I wonder how many went through with it though.

 Marks

My husband gives me an A
for last night's supper,
an incomplete for my ironing,
a B plus in bed.
My son says I am average,
an average mother, but if
I put my mind to it
I could improve.
My daughter believes
in Pass/Fail and tells me
I pass. Wait 'til they learn
I'm dropping out.



Linda Pastan is an American poet of Jewish background. She was born in New York on May 27, 1932.
She is known for writing short poems that address topics like family life, domesticity, motherhood, the female experience, aging, death, loss and the fear of loss, as well as the fragility of life and relationships.

No comments:

Post a Comment