Saturday, June 11, 2011

Goodbye and Good Luck

This is not my last post as I will continue with my blog next year but it may well be my last post as a teacher at this school. This is my goodbye post:

As you probably know by now, I will be teaching at a different school next year. It is a change I've been wishing for for a long time now. After 14 years teaching at my present school, the time has come to start again. I've come at a standstill as a teacher, with no room for improvement and completely burnt out. The path I want to follow is not the present one. I don't fit in anymore: I feel restrained and frustrated and hampered by rules and people I don't agree with and I need a complete change. But before I go I want to say this: Despite the mixed feelings I have, it's been a great ride, maybe a bit bumpy at the end but nonetheless unforgettable, and I mean that in a good way.
I've met and worked with amazing teachers: hardworking, unwavering in their dedication to students, resilient and courageous, intelligent and funny, and I could go on endlessly.
And the same can be said of my students: You have been the best thing, the ones who make this job worth it in spite of all the obstacles. As frustrating and difficult as teaching you (or trying to) has been so many times, I wouldn't change a thing. You are all unique and outstanding in your own way even if you don't know it yet and I hope you will realise soon how amazing you are. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise, not even yourselves.

This is my way of saying sorry and goodbye and good luck: with Forever Young, a wonderful song by Bob Dylan

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for everything Maria. I wish you the best in the rest of your life, and I hope to see you in a few years to know you're Ok.

    Your student,


    Natalia [:

    ReplyDelete
  2. We just can´t part when our leading path is rooted within somebody. The ground might aim northwards, but our souls need to be selfish to lead the ones we love along the highways we dwell around in life. You´re simply here, my friend, where I am. No hesitation, we´re soulmates, you know that, and I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Maria, we are Raquel and Irene, we are thankful for having you as a teacher, and we learnt a lot with you in spite of you think we haven't.
    We have enjoyed a lot with our "singing classes", with the discussions, ...

    really thank you..We are sooo glad of meeting you this year as a teacher and as a person.
    And we hope you got a great time in the other high school.


    Irene and Raquel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don´t worry about us Maria, cause you are going to teach us when we were in the picaso ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much, I'm missing you already!

    ReplyDelete