Monday, November 7, 2011

Do you like comic books?

A Contract With God by Will Eisner
I've never been an avid comic reader but I have read and enjoyed some.
When I was growing up I used to enjoy reading comics like Asterix ,Tintin (well, the truth is I was never much of a Tintin fan) or Esther (my favourite when i was a kid), apart from the classics: Zipi y Zape, Mortadelo... Mafalda and Peanuts were more a collection of comic strips but I enjoyed them too.
Maus by Art Spiegelman
When I was a bit older a friend introduced me to  A Contract with God by Will Eisner and I discovered Graphic novels. There are plenty of those aimed at adult audiences to make it a true literary genre. Of those,  I highly recommend Maus by Art Spiegelman and Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi.
Any way, Why am I telling you all this? Because The Observer has been running a Graphic Short Story Prize for the past five years and all of them are available on line. So, whether you love comics or not they are all worth a try, even if it's only to do some interesting reading in English. Go ahead and check them out, and tell me what you think!

The best of The Cape/Observer/Comica graphic short story prize

The Observer/Cape Graphic Short Story Prize 2011

Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi

 

No comments:

Post a Comment