Monday, October 11, 2010

Leif Erikson Day


We have already covered Columbus Day and Native American's Day and now it is the Vikings' turn.
Although it is a few days late, let me tell you a little bit about Leif Erikson Day (October 9th):
Though not a public holiday, this day is dedicated to the first European ever to set foot in North America.
Christopher Columbus was not the first European to discover the New World! This commonly held belief is wrong. Columbus didn't reach the New World until 1492, 500 years after Leif Erikson's arrival in 1001 AD. Historians have been able to put this together based upon records at the time. However, Leif Erikson made no maps of his journey. Physical evidence of his travels are lacking.   
Leif Erikson was the first European to set foot in the New World, opening a new land rich with resources for the Vikings to explore. But for some unknown reason, the Vikings only made a few voyages to the New World after Leif. Unfortunately, this caused his discovery to remain unknown to nearly all of Europe, which was in the midst of the Crusades. 

4 comments:

  1. I think I hear something about it months or maybe years ago, but I didn't know it exactly. It's very curious, cause all our life, teachers and family have told us that Cristobal Columbus discovered the New World..

    P.S.: great picture! jaja xD

    Irene (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh sorry, now that I read my comment, I think I took a mistake..
    I think I hear something about it "some" months or maybe years ago, but I didn't know it exactly. It's very curious, cause all our life, teachers and family have told us that Cristobal Columbus discovered the New World..

    P.S.: great picture! jaja xD

    Irene (:

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I think the same as you Irene, it's something curiously to know. But anyone told us about it, maybe they think it isn't important, is it?
    Anyway they are wrong. We should know it.

    Hahahaa I love this picture! :D

    ReplyDelete